A big milestone that I failed to write about took place a few months back...
Parker started riding a 2-wheeler! (That's what he calls it anyway)
I know he could have done this last year, but I wasn't about to have him attempt this last summer after his head injury the previous fall. Plus he was perfectly content with his training wheels, so why mess up a good thing?
But this spring I knew the time had come to take off those wheels and have him give it a try!
He was a little nervous and a bit embarrassed to try it at home - he wanted to go try it elsewhere so his friends wouldn't see him learning. (I thought that was kind of sweet!) But we went out and not another soul was outside so he went ahead and tried in front of our house and he did great! A little shaky at first. It took him about 25 minutes to get the hang of it and now it's all he wants to do! So far we've had no major injuries to report. Just a skinned up stomach and skinned knee. Let's hope those are the worst of the incidents this summer!
Parker started riding a 2-wheeler! (That's what he calls it anyway)
I know he could have done this last year, but I wasn't about to have him attempt this last summer after his head injury the previous fall. Plus he was perfectly content with his training wheels, so why mess up a good thing?
But this spring I knew the time had come to take off those wheels and have him give it a try!
He was a little nervous and a bit embarrassed to try it at home - he wanted to go try it elsewhere so his friends wouldn't see him learning. (I thought that was kind of sweet!) But we went out and not another soul was outside so he went ahead and tried in front of our house and he did great! A little shaky at first. It took him about 25 minutes to get the hang of it and now it's all he wants to do! So far we've had no major injuries to report. Just a skinned up stomach and skinned knee. Let's hope those are the worst of the incidents this summer!

He is growing up so fast. I get a little teary-eyed when I think of sending him to Kindergarten this year. He is such a confident little boy though and I know that he'll love school.

Back to the bikes...at any given time during the day you can look out the window and see a tiny army of kiddos 7 and under racing bikes up and down the street. We love our neighborhood! Our kids have so many great little friends here!
And as for the little sis... out of the blue, Chris came home with this little bike for Emmie a few months back. It was a fun surprise! For all of us!
She loves this little bike that Daddy picked out for her and you can bet she's out there racing with the boys, and keeping up with them. Honestly, we could probably take off her training wheels this summer too... but maybe we'll wait another year for her.
Just a funny sidenote... I remember loving to ride my bike as a kid too. In fact, one memory ingrained in my mind is dressing in one of my sweet leotards (probably neon), totally awesome leg warmers, wrist bands and exercise headband, strapping my "ghetto blaster" to my bike basket (probably blasting Duran Duran or Kylie Minogue's "Locomotion"), and riding around like I was preeeettttty awesome.
And I'm sure I was!
It WAS the 80's afterall! :)
All this bike riding makes me want to get a bike myself again!

1 comment:
Haha, I remember belting out "Ohhohh, we're half way there, ohoh, livin' on a prayer...take my hand..." you get it. So cool. Yay for the biker army! Glad you have a good neighborhood, it makes all the difference for a mom:)
Post a Comment