Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentines and doorbell ditching. What could be more fun???

Parker loves to play with other kids. If there are kids around, he is their instant friend. Therefore, he was so excited to put together Valentines for a bunch of his little buddies in our neighborhood on Saturday.

After explaining to him the "old school" way of how we were going to deliver them (leaving them on the step, ringing the doorbell and running), he joyously shot his fists up into the air with a drawn out, "YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!".

I love that kid. He makes me laugh. :)

When I was little it was tradition at our house on Valentines Day for my Dad to leave wrapped gifts on the doorstep and of course ring the doorbell and run. Me and my older brother loved this ritual and we would get all giddy running to the door to find fun surprises. We would then hear a knock at the back door and went running to find more fun things and so on. My Dad was so fast to get back in the house through the garage that he had us fooled for a few years as to how the presents were making it to our doorstep.

In my desire to carry out this tradition with my own kids, Sunday morning the doorbell rang and magically there were presents awaiting for Parker and Emmie which of course brought on shrieks of delight and excitement.

The second time it happened, Parker looked out the window onto the step and said,

"More presents, Mom! How do those presents know how to ring our doorbell?!".

Chris was pretty fast getting himself back into the house. (As P would say, "YEEEESSSS!")

I truly think Valentines Day is a great excuse for a date night, but really I think the holiday is for kids!!! I love it! :)

HaPpY VaLeNtInEs DaY

from our favorite little Valentines!

(Aren't they cute? They're even homemade...! :))

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Hollie said...

What a fun family! I love the presents on the doorstep. What a great idea.
By the way, Addi loved her Valentine. Thanks for thinking of her!

Marianne said...

That sounds like such a fun tradition! Emmie is looking really grown up in these pictures. More like a little girl and less like a baby!

Karen said...

What a fun idea! I love it!

SHIPP said...

The doorbell ditching is a hit. You are such an amazing mom. If I could do half the stuff as you. I would love to get together with Amanda, should we plan another play date?

aliciamae100 said...

I don't think I'M fast enough to be the one to doorbell ditch, but luckily I'm married to a runner and I think he'd be great at this - I love it! Your little Valentine's are so SWEET!!

Wade Family said...

Ok so they are so cute! Love their cute festive outfits and look at those valentine treats...what a Mom! I have to agree with you, Valentines is so much fun with kids. Ryan was pretty quick at getting back in the house too...good thing for husbands!

Chelle said...

Could your kids get any cuter? REally! My mom did that same tradition of leaving stuff on the porch. She still does it actually, and we love it! Now Siena's b-day is on the same day so things get a little hectic, but I hope I can still make a big differentiation between the two holidays. Those outfits are adorable!!