Sunday, June 21, 2009

Forget the dinosaurs, where are the bones?

Last Wednesday we went to a free dinosaur exhibit down at BYU. Beforehand, we told Parker that we were going to go and see some dinosaurs. His eyes got big and he said, "Are they nice ones?". We went on to explain that the creatures lived a long, long time ago and so we were just going to be looking at their bones. Upon arrival and after assessing the T-Rex (okay, I'm not completely sure that's a T-Rex) Parker said, "I want to see some bones. Where are the bones?" We said, "These ARE the bones, Parker. You're looking at them." A couple minutes later he repeated, "But where are the BONES? I want to see some bones!" He went on to question us about this over and over again. Chris and I just had to laugh. He didn't quite get it.
Emmie on the other hand, was quite impressed and was clapping at the dinosaurs from her stroller and flashing them big grins.
This is the perfect example of our kids these days and their personalities.
Parker's never quite satisfied... But Emmie, she's pretty easy to please.
On a sidenote: The middle pictures are of a CROCODILES HEAD who was 37 FEET LONG! CRAZY! That big guy was found in Texas.
In Parker's defense, I can't really blame him for not really comprehending the whole dinosaur thing. It's hard for ME to wrap my 29-year-old brain around the idea that these massive guys really once roamed the earth, so I guess I'm not too worried that he really isn't getting it at 2! :) In thinking about it even more, he is OBSESSED with feeding the dog her bones and has quite a strange fettish with them, so I think he must have had it in his head that we were going to see an exhibit of doggy bones. After all, that is his understanding of what bones are at the moment.
Sorry to disappoint the little guy! :) Maybe we'll just have take Parker on a whirl around PetsMart for our next little field trip...

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Oh, that is too cute. Emmie is so so cute! Love those eyes and her little dimples! Don't you love having a little girl!? But ya, dinosaurs are a crazy thing. Almost like a mythological creature. Very hard to wrap your head around indeed.