So today I hit the 36 week mark, and I was given permission to "somewhat" resume my normal activities. Nothing too strenuous, but I no longer have to turn my head when it's time to vaccuum, (this seriously has been the hardest thing as this is pretty much a daily ritual for my main floor!) and I can actually leave the house and run a few errands! So basically, despite all the contractions that come especially through too much movement, I don't have to be quite as glued to the couch as I have for the last 2 1/2 weeks, because we're out of the "danger zone" for the baby. If I go into labor this week, they're not stopping me. You catch my drift. So today I was so excited to run to Wal-Mart - yes Wal-Mart of all places, to pick up a few last minute items I've had on my mind that I'll need for the baby, my hospital stay, for Parker, etc. I'm definitely not a huge Wal-Mart fan - trust me! Everytime I venture in that place I swear it will be my last due to ridiculously long lines and only 2 checkers, unorganized isles, and mostly thoughts of "where in the world do all these weird people come from?" (I know, that isn't nice, but admit it - most of you have had those same thoughts.) BUT - today I figured I could pick up the items I need, AND be able to get a few groceries while I was there. So - off Parker and I went to Wal-Mart this morning. He ran to the car with excitement when I told him we were going somewhere - the poor little guy has been cooped up for almost three weeks, just like myself!
So you have to understand, I'm a pretty sad site as it is... my back is killing me because it is so out of alignment, my toes for some reason feel as though they are going to snap in half when I walk on them, and I get pretty painful contractions when I walk much and definitely everytime I stand up. SO - to sum it up, this pregnant girl is DEFINITELY waddling these days!! ( I can't help it!) But, I was determined to make this trip, and off I pushed my cart with Parker in tow into Wal-Mart. I was doing pretty good through the food department, but headed back towards the baby stuff and the horrible pain set in. I not only was having hard, painful contractions across the front, but BAD pain and cramping through my lower back! To the point where I could hardly walk! I was totally trying to tough it out and was frantically looking for a place to sit down, but there was nothing. Soooo, there I was, ready to cry, with nightmare thoughts of "I might just have this baby here in Wal-Mart", "I CANNOT bring my baby into the world in white trash Wal-Mart", and "I've got to get out of here, FAST!" running through my head. BUT - I can be stubborn at times, and I was determined to buy what was in my basket, as I had waited weeks to make some of these purchases. So I kept walking - REALLY SLOW, hoping that no one would notice that I was in pretty excrutiating pain. I took a break in a few isles, and finally, after about 15-20 minutes, and picking up a few other items along the way, the back pain eased up a little, making things MUCH more bearable!
Well, the story has a happy ending, I made the long walk to the front of the store, made my purchases, and made my way out of Wal-Mart! I think more than I was relieved that I didn't go into labor today, barely 36 weeks pregnant while running an errand, I was just soooooo glad that I wouldn't have to be sharing my birth and delivery story with good old Wal-Mart as the setting. YIKES! Now if that wouldn't be a nightmare delivery story, I don't know what is. Needless to say, I don't think I'll be going back to Wal-Mart anytime soon... I think tomorrow I'll stay home and keep "glued to the couch" and give my pathetic body a bit of a break, but maybe Wednesday I'll venture into Target... if I haven't had this baby by then. After all, a "Target baby" wouldn't be quite so bad, would it? :)
P.S. The sarcasm in this story is REAL. It is just that - sarcasm. The author really DOES want what is best for her baby and will take the necessary precautions to ensure it. She realizes that making it another week - to 37 weeks and full term - would be ideal. No real harm was done in her trip to Wal-Mart, and she will not be attempting that again. Anytime soon.
6 comments:
Chimmie- you're one tough cookie! If you do venture to Target, get one of those motorized carts so you don't have to walk all around. Good luck with the whole delivery thing. I can't wait to see pics!!!
You are hilarious! I loved reading this story. Thank heavens you didn't have a Wal-Mart baby. That child would have been doomed! It's just not a pleasant thought! Good luck when the time does really come. I'm excited to see her! :)
Did you ever see the movie Where the Heart Is? That poor girl had her baby in Wal-Mart. Lol. I'm glad you made it through the trip! That's so rough that you are having all those painful contractions already... hopefully your body will be all geared up for a quick labor!
Oh my gosh, I am so so SO sorry! That's horrible. Isn't it funny how determined we can be when we want to "check" something off our to-do-list!
P.S. I fully agree with your last disclaimer. Although... I hope you have her in the next 10 days so I can see her!!
Lots of love!
Michelle~
I just sent you and email, but I found your blog through Sara Wade. I can't believe you are almost due with baby number 2!!! I don't blame you at all for not wanting a Walmart baby...HOW SCARY! I was right there with you on the bedrest thing last year with Lincoln, but I don't know how you did it with Parker too. Good luck! Hope you feel better soon!
I'm glad you didn't have her at walmart either...I was just there the other day-and it was kind of scary! It's good to read about you and you're growing family. I'm so excited that you're having another cute kid...I'm sure another cute name will come with her too! Good luck with you and the new addition to your family-it's fun with 2, but it's a hard transition ( at least for me it was), so best of luck and enjoy every little thing! HAIRBOWS ARE THE BEST!
Post a Comment