This cute girl had a little gymnastics "recital" in December to show off what she has been learning. It was really cute (& low key - held during her normal a.m. class time) and she was SUPER proud of the medal that she received at the end!
Watching this little gymnast takes me back....
In my buffer days, I did gymnastics competitively and I loved it. It's all I did for a few years as a kid. I would go right after school for 3 1/2 hour classes and weight training 3-4 days a week and then meets (competition) on Saturdays. At school, the boys would line up to arm wrestle me at recess all to be embarrassed
to have a girl take them out (okay - they were 5th and 6th grade boys- not
so impressive on my part!). And during kick ball, I could kick the ball so hard I was nick named "Shera" by my 5th grade class. I felt a sort of pride as they would chant my name when I was up to kick. You wouldn't believe it now, but I'm telling you, I was buff. :) By the time I was 13, I was completely burned out of it, and decided I wanted my childhood back, and with no encouragement to keep going, I quit. It was fun while it lasted though and helped me make dance company in middle school even though despite a few dance classes I was not a dancer (but I had impressive split leaps and I could tumble:).
It's fun to watch my kids try different things and see what they like! We'll see if this is something she'll want to stick with. Emmie is actually tall for her age so far, which can be a disadvantage. The average height of a gymnast is 4'11. It's actually blamed for stunting growth though... which must be why I'm 5'1! ;)

No comments:
Post a Comment