Parker and Emmie were playing out back yesterday as I was trying to get a few things done in my kitchen. I am usually pretty strict about wearing sunscreen, but was busy and just didn't think about it, especially since it was a pretty cool day (I even had Emmie in a coat).
I felt awful last night as I noticed how their little faces had gotten burned by the sun!
Then today I happened upon this post (as I was looking for a recipe) about a girl who is a melanoma cancer surviver. She went to the doctor after noticing a small mole turn a different color (I have one on my arm that's been calling my name for months now...) and sure enough it was malignant melanoma and they operated the next day! She went through this twice and was super lucky to have caught it early on!
Some facts that she shared...
Some facts that she shared...
Did you know that children who get sunburned before the age of 18 are twice as likely to get skin cancer? And that if you don't catch it early, your chances of survival past 5 years are only 10%?!? 10!
I just thought this was such a good reminder of how important it is to wear that sunscreen all.the.time! I have had a nagging feeling to get to the dermatologist for about 6 months now to have a few things checked out... I think I'm going to finally make that appointment. I had no idea how serious it really can be! Chris is a red head and absolutely refuses to wear sunscreen - he just bakes in the sun! Aghh!
CLICK HERE to read the article. If you haven't already visited the Six Sisters' Stuff blog, I highly recommend! Great recipes, crafts and insights!
It's a short post and I highly suggest reading it before you go forgetting to lather up on your spring outtings.
3 comments:
Ugh, scary stuff! Thanks for the reminder!
Do have your brother in laws address? My kids drew some pictures for Atticus. If you have a second and could shoot me an email, thanks!
Lexi is too cute for words!! Who am I kidding, so are your other two!
Ugh, scary stuff! Thanks for the reminder!
Do have your brother in laws address? My kids drew some pictures for Atticus. If you have a second and could shoot me an email, thanks!
Lexi is too cute for words!! Who am I kidding, so are your other two!
Michelle, I am terrified of melanoma! Can you even imagine how many times I must have been sunburned as a kid at Lake Powell? (LOTS of times because I was a stinker and wouldn't wear sunscreen!) And then add the fact that Reed had melanoma on his face, I am officially freaked out. I went in a couple years ago, but I really need to go again. Thanks for the reminder.
Also, I can't believe Lexi is already 6 months! She is such a cutie.
Post a Comment