The last five weeks have been tough, I have to say. I haven't really felt like blogging - or doing much really, since getting the heartbreaking news about our cute nephew, Atticus' brain tumor. How can we go about the trivial daily tasks when people we love are going through the most excrutiating trial a parent could possibly be asked to endure? You can never really be prepared for something like that and it was absolutely devastating news to say the least. It all has happened so sudden and came so out of the blue. I am still in awe that when they were here visiting at Christmastime - just a matter of weeks ago, we were all oblivious that anything was even wrong with the cute little guy.
I see that as a tender mercy, really, that he was able to have a happy, normal Christmas before the cancer was realized. I am also so grateful for the fact that Cindy and Eric decided to trek it out here to Utah for the holidays, rather than stay in Texas.
I think about how they threw an amazing birthday party for Atticus' fourth birthday on December 17th (see for yourself HERE). If it were me, I may have been too overwhelmed to go all out for the party seeing as how crazy busy December is, not to mention they were sick with colds, on top of the fact that they were trying to get everything together before flying to UT for Christmas. But they had the cutest, most fun birthday bash a four year old could ask for. They made it a HUGE deal.
Little did they know at the time what a huge deal that birthday party really was!
How forever grateful I am sure they will be for making that day so special for their sweet little Atticus!
No regrets. No regrets.
It makes me think about daily life and how going the extra mile and trying our best everyday DOES matter. Making the most of the time we have been given is one of the many lessons in all of this, one that I was taught once before with the loss of my older brother.
It really does change you.
Forever.
There is much to be learned from this stalwart little guy and we are just feel so blessed to have such an amazing, courageous, positive spirit in our family!
We also feel crushed, heartbroken, and breathless for being thrown such an incredibly unexpected curve ball. Many, MANY tears have been shed this last 6 weeks as Chris and I have often found ourselves asking,
"Is this really happening?".
"Is this really happening?".
I wish the answer were a good one.
What tremendous examples of great faith and strength Eric and Cindy are to all those who are coming across their story. Hundreds, probably thousands of people are praying for them and prayers being answered! Atticus' symptoms are improving and although we know it may only be for a short while, every moment matters! And you can bet that they are cherishing every second that Atti is feeling well enough to play sports and do some of the active things he loves to do.
Chris flew out to Texas 2 weeks ago and stayed for about four days. He was so grateful for the opportunity to spend those precious days with sweet Atticus.
Here are a few pictures from his trip...
Chris said that amazingly, despite the physical changes he is going through, that Atti is his same, hilarious, fun-loving, witty, silly, ADORABLE self!
Atti looooves cars. He and Chris spent hours playing with cars, tracing cars, racing and building tunnels for cars. The movie CARS will forever remind me of our cute nephew.
Here is our little champ!
The bravest little man I know.
Who has the bravest parents I know.
An angel on earth.
With the cutest cheeks I've ever seen.
2 comments:
OH man. this was a beautiful post, Michelle. Thank you. I need continual reminders, unfortunately, about making the most of each day and trying to live so that I have no regrets. Isn't it so true that children are often our best teachers? They're just so pure and good. How neat that Chris got to go out to TX and spend some time with Atticus. We've been thinking so much about you guys and your bro/sister in law. You are all in our prayers!
I'm so sorry Michelle! I've been following their blog and it has really helped me put things into perspective. I think of little Atticus everyday and my prayers are with you and your family. I'm so glad that Chris got to go visit. What a cute uncle!
Post a Comment