Thursday, April 14, 2011

Taboo body talk

The following is not for the easily offended...;)

The other day Parker pulled up his shirt, pointed to his chest and said,
"Mom, what are these?".
Me: "Um, those are your nipples".  
Parker: "Nipples? Oh. We'll have to tell Daddy". 
Me: "Why?"
Parker: "Because the other day when I asked him what they are, he wouldn't answer me. So he must not know!"
Oh, I'm pretty sure he's aware...
Me: "Uh, yep, we'll have to tell him".
*****
On Sunday I was steaming my shirt while standing in my bra and undergarment when to my surprise two little hands reached up and planted themselves on my, ahem, chesticles.
Taken off guard I glanced down to meet his little eyes and he softly said, 
"Mom, can I touch these?"
Wu huh?
I just kind of shrugged him off while but couldn't help being humored by the action.
About a half hour later we were at church standing in the hall for a minute when all of a sudden those two little hands reached up and planted themselves in those same lovely places. In horror I quickly swatted his hands away. I also quickly assessed that there might be only one witness to the crime - one of my cute Beehives. Phew.
That moment could have been much, much worse....
I don't know what to say except that apparently the baffling magnetic force to those things starts at a young, young age for the  male species....heaven help us.

*****
When getting ready for baths one night, Parker made a breakthrough observation.
 "Hey Mom, the reason Emmie doesn't stand up to pee is because she hasn't grown this (pats his private area) yet".
Uh no, and I'm happy to report she won't be growing one of those. Ever.
So while P-Man aced preschool anatomy, there are still a few body parts left that he can't set a name to due to the fact that we've never divulged their identities.  
That being one of them.
And ya know what?
Gasp in horror, call me a bad parent and turn me in, but I'm just fine with keeping it that way for the next 7 years or so....

The teenage years are going to be rough at our house.
Can't we just keep them little and innocent forever?

5 comments:

Rae Lynn said...

Loved this post! ;) Whenever Gage sees my bra he says "there's your boobs"! It so is a boy thing. LOL

Amanda said...

That's so funny Michelle! These curious little kids. My kids think it's so weird to see cleavage on TV (I have none, so you can see why it's weird for them)I'm so afraid that they are going to tell someone- who is showing off their girls, "you have bad fashion sense" or "you're just showing us your 'boobs' because you don't have a pretty face", or "you look trashy". These are all explanations I use for skanky clothing choices on women (I DO realize there may be better explanations:) How do you explain why so and so is showing us her 'boobs'? Long, rant, but ya, that anatomy thing is a tricky one.

cabeandmelplus3 said...

Oh my gosh!! HA ha ha I love that little "P" of yours he is too funny!! And the way you write even better! ;)

Carly said...

HAHA love this post! Little boys are so funny! Just wait until you have to breastfeed the new baby...boy will there be questions! Lincoln learned all sorts of new terms, words and bodily functions with Tate being born. Good luck!

The Ackerman Family said...

That is hilarious!!! We have had our fair share of things happen or said, including one child of ours thinking it was funny to bite people on the bum, especially when we were out in public. Luckily that stopped really quick!

Just wait til you have "the talk." I can't even think of a word to describe it. Somehow talking about the real names and how things work with your child just seems so wrong, but I would rather they learn it from me first!