Thursday, October 21, 2010

Great news

Parker had another Dr. appointment yesterday at up at the Moran Eye Center next to Primary Childrens. It has been a concern that because of the way his eye socket broke down onto his eye muscle, that P may have to have surgery to correct this so that his eye would have proper function. It would have been a major surgery as they would have had to cut open the top of his head to get to the eye socket via the neuro team and occuloplastic doctors.

Well, the GREAT news is that his eye seems to be functioning just fine and they won't have to do this very invasive surgery! Once again, we were so relieved. And as long as we are once again counting our blessings here, listen to this. The doctor said that typically with the location and type of Parker's fractures that the brain almost always "spills down over the eyes" (his exact words) and that for some odd reason this did not happen to Parker and that the brain decided to stay intact. Amazing, ay? Just another way that we have been so blessed and watched over in all of this! I found it interesting that he said that the bones in your head never actually mend themselves as would a break in your arm, therefore Parker's two skull fractures will always show up on an x-ray. They could go in and actually fix the bones (which they would have had there been a problem with his eye function) with screws and bolts, but the scar tissue that will form over the breaks will in time be strong enough to protect the area and keep everything in tact. Aren't our bodies amazing? This is why he will always have to be a bit more careful in his activities, and especially over this next 3-4 months as Dr. Patel said this healing time is absolutely crucial.

CoUnTiNg OuR bLeSsInGs...

It truly is a blessing that we don't have a serious brain injury on our hands! If that hasn't sunk in yet, reread the above paragraph. And the previous post mentioning the air bubble that showed in the MRI by the brain before they life flighted us to Primarys among so many other examples!

It's another huge miracle that Emmie wasn't hit by the door. She is Parker's little shadow and constant companion. Not to mention how much she loves the cat that Parker was trying to pet when the accident happened... we are so blessed that she too was not standing in the way of that door.

We are just extremely grateful that amidst such a horrible accident that we were definitely being watched out for and that this little monkey below is going to be just fine!

After coming home from the hospital, some of Parker's darling friends brought him a gift bag full of fun activities and this sweet poster with attached cards. ADORABLE and sooo thoughtful! It made his day! He also had his cute friends Nate and Zach bring fun things to him as well as darling Addi's super thoughtful and CUTE gift which will get it's own blog post as soon as I get pictures of it. All of this helped to make him feel so special! P loooves his friends and has been a little sad here and there watching them out the window playing on their bikes knowing he can't join in on the fun. It kind of breaks my heart but then I remind myself how minor that is compared to the alternative outcomes. I've been quickly shutting the garage when we get home from an errand so that he doesn't get tempted to hop on his scooter or run out and visit his friends. He's all in all been pretty patient about it though and we've been trying to keep busy with alternative activities to being outside.

He played catch up for a while on his Preschool homework, has been doing art activities, sticker books, playing with blocks and legos, watching lots of movies & popcorn with his sis, lots of play dough, and his favorite thing has probably been the extra leniency he's been given in playing his obsessed-over Wii games. Heaven help us. But whatever keeps him busy and happy these days, right?
More good news is that we were able to reschedule our trip with doctor's permission and are looking forward to finally getting on that vacation that started this whole ordeal. We are hoping for better luck this time. :) The upcoming vacay has worked as great incentive for Parker to follow the rules of no running, climbing, outdoor play, no playgroup, etc. etc. because he has to get better so that he "can go to Disneyland!".
This experience has been quite the ride and all, but we are more than ready to leave it behind and move onto more exciting ones. And we are so grateful that we can do just that. :)
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Chelle said...

Oh my gosh Michelle, reading your last few posts about all this just gave me the chills--that Parker said something scary was going to happen (my family actually had a similar experience where we were driving home from Lake Powell and my sis who was almost 2 started saying, "Where is the fire?" and within five minutes my dad looked in his rearview mirror and our boat was on fire--burned to the ground), all those MIRACLES and tender mercies...wow, I am in awe. LIke I said earlier, THANK HEAVENS he is going to be okay. And you are right--you never know when something like this could happen, so take advantage of each moment!!! We have been thinking about you guys so much--we love you.

cabeandmelplus3 said...

Michele all I can say is WOW and what a true true blessing! :) So glad Parker is getting back to his normal self. And I love that he got his Buzz costume! SO cute! Those 2 little munchkins are going to be so cute! Can't wait to see them!
p.s. I will help you with your room anytime! ;) but I have seen your house! I know you are a pro at this stuff! you can do it!

Hollie said...

Hurray for good news! I'm so happy for you guys! PS, I don't expect you to do a blog post about the gift. We're just super grateful that he is okay!

Amanda said...

So glad to hear about NO surgery. I'm also glad that ya'll are feelin' the love over there from family and friends. That makes a huge difference as well. Parker is such a cute little guy and I'm happy he doing so well. What would we do without these angels that watch over our little ones.

The Ackerman Family said...

Michelle! Your sweet little Parker is so cute! I am sorry you guys had to go through such a horrible experience! We are glad Parker is OK and won't need to have surgery, and that you will get to go to Disneyland. I feel so out of the loop with what is going on in everyone's lives. I hope to stay in better touch! We love you guys!

Tara B said...

Michelle, I just read through the past several posts, and i am so GRATEFUL that Parker came out of that okay. I've always thought he was the cutest little boy and it makes me so sad to think what could have resulted from that terrible accident. What a trauma and I feel so bad for Parker's pain and for how scary that must be as a mom. I think it is so interesting that Parker knew something very very bad would happen in St. George. These little ones are so close to the Spirit. I worry constantly that Crew is going to get into something dangerous - there is just no way to protect these kiddies from absolutely everything that could happen to them! I'm grateful there are angels watching over them. Wow, what a trip to Disneyland. Hope you get to go and enjoy soon.

L said...

Life is so scary and unpredictable. I am so thankful that there are miracles on the earth today and tender mercies constantly around us. What fantastic news for Mr. P and you and Chris. You have quite the trooper there! I am so happy you guys will still be able to go on your trip! Love you and your amazing family!