This last week I've really struggled trying to put together a blog post about Parker's accident. There are just so many details that I want recorded but I am having a hard time re-hashing it all I guess you could say. To say the least it was extremely emotionally traumatizing for our little fam. I feel like that week of my life was just such a bad dream & at this point I am more than ready to move on from it all. I have guilt in saying that however because I don't mean at all to minimize what happened or how incredibly blessed we were along the way! The gratitude we feel for the countless blessings we experienced through such a horrible incident are priceless. The important lessons and faith building experiences certainly won't be forgotten! I did finally finish a draft post earlier this week but I am for some reason reluctant to share it. It's just a bit much and like I said, I'm ready to move forward. I've got to get some of this journaled though so I am going to go ahead and share a bit of it...(trust me, it is still a way too long read!) but I think I'll leave out much of the hospital details this time....
THE STORY....
After Chris came home from work that evening (Friday) we left for St. George. Once again, we were a bit apprehensive because of what Parker had said, but we were ready for our long-awaited vacation to begin. We said a prayer before leaving and Chris was extra mindful to be cautious on our drive so off we went. Unfortunately, Chris was plagued by the stomach flu himself on the way. NOT FUN – but we managed to make it to our destination alive. Extremely relieved that we made it to St. G safely, Chris and I joked that the flu must have been the “bad” thing that Parker was referring to the previous week.
Not a minute later Chris went running into the bedroom and started yelling. I heard Parker screaming. I went running. Chris came running out with Parker who was in hysterics. I glanced at his head and started screaming in panic myself.
Chris had found Parker underneath this HUGE, ten foot tall, solid wood door which had obviously fallen on top of him. The next few minutes were a total blur. In complete chaos, we threw the kids into the car and we were off to the ER at Dixie Regional, a six minute drive. Between being absolutely HYSTERICAL to sleepy on the way, Parker was able to tell us what happened. He said that while trying to pet the cat who had gone behind a free standing door that was leaning up against the wall, the cat jumped at him. In fear of being scratched or bitten, he quickly tried to move out of the way, and in so doing, he grabbed the door and managed to cause it to fall on top of himself.
The culprit?

The door is at least 200 pounds. Everyone keeps asking why there was a free standing door in the room – so in case you’re wondering – it was the master closet door that had been removed because they installed a washer and dryer in the closet which was housed where the door would normally swing.
EMERGENCY ROOM
After a ridiculously slow-moving ER “registration”, we finally made it back to see the doctors. Parker was absolutely hysterical – screaming that his eye hurt “so bad!”. The staff went ahead and administered some pain meds as well as some sedative to calm him so that they could get him back for a cat scan. After what seemed like forever he finally seemed calm enough to take him back for the MRI. Chris went with him and I stayed with Emmie. On their return I was informed that P had thrown up all over the machine, himself, and his blanket, hence he was no longer wearing a shirt. About ten minutes later the grave looking doctor came back in. I immediately knew by the look on his face that the good news we were hopeful of hearing was not what he was about to share with us.

CAT SCAN RESULTS:
In addition to two fractures on his skull and an obvious bad concussion, there was an air bubble next to the brain, which was an indicator that brain damage could develop within 24-48 hours. They were going to life flight him to Primary Children’s in Salt Lake. I went weak in the knees. Those words - LIFEFLIGHT and BRAIN DAMAGE hit me like the wind was just knocked out of me. I couldn't breathe. We were absolutely devastated to say the least and just in disbelief that this had happened. We were supposed to be halfway to California by now! We were supposed to be running to the Matterhorn first thing the following morning to ride Parker’s requested “first ride of the day”. We had talking up this trip for a good six months and now we were about to embark on a very different ride than we anticipated. Instead of flying through Peter Pan and down Splash Mountain, Parker and I were about to fly on an Air med plane to Primarys with a head injury that could be potentially be life changing. I felt like I was in a really bad dream. I found irony in the fact that the previous night I had borrowed a random T-shirt to sleep in from my Mom's closet that was adorned with the words, “LIFEFLIGHT” across the front. (She'd obviously gotten it from work as she is a nurse.)
I was a nervous wreck getting on that small Air Med plan. I am terrified of small planes which just amplified the already terrifying experience that had unfolded that morning. I snapped this picture (above) with my phone right before we took off and sent it to a few family members wondering if I’d see them alive again. Dramatic I know, but honestly with the direction that this day was rolling, in my mind it was not out of the question that this plane might not make it to Salt Lake.
My fear of flying on this plane however was far overshadowed by my devastated thoughts of the possibility of our bright-eyed, always inquisitive, constant chatterbox little Parker having a damaging brain injury. How could that be possible?! How could we be in this situation?! I couldn’t let those thoughts overtake my emotions. I wouldn’t let them. The possibilities weren’t reality yet and I had to concentrate on having faith that he would be okay. I cried. And prayed. A lot. The two air medic nurses flying with us gave me sympathetic looks across the seats. I appreciated their silent attempts at consoling me but I just wanted to sink into my seat & be left alone in my agony. I kept throwing glances at Parker's chest to make sure he was still breathing. That will certainly go down in history as one of the worst hours of my life.

His recovery at the hospital had it's ups and downs. I was frustrated a number of times with the nurses who let Parker's pain get out of control way too many times. I quickly figured out that I had to be vigilant in keeping track of what pain meds he was having when and when the next doses were due because there were too many incidences where he would wake up screaming in agonizing pain, due to the neglect of having his medication administered to him on time.
Because of the concussion there was a lot of throwing up so the first two days he only drank a little water. On his first try at solids he requested (okay insisted) on having none other than his all time favorite - strawberries. He threw up that entire bowl but hey it was a good attempt. The next day he requested plain noodles with Italian dressing for breakfast and some grapes. MMMmmmm. This time he was finally successful in keeping the food down which was a huge step of progress in overcoming the concussion symptoms and a step towards going home. Apparently he liked this meal because he requested it 3 more times passing up chicken nuggets, french fries, pizza and chocolate shakes.
This little guy is so loved! We had family visiting every day and our ward was wonderful and so quick to serve us. Our Relief Society President was at the hospital within an hour or two of finding out the news, the Bishop and his wife were up to visit within the first day, our home teachers offered to come up right away, and my awesome visiting teachers showed up with the most AMAZING gift basket full of goodies, snacks, & activities not only for Parker but also for Chris and I. The text messags, phone calls, cards, well wishes, stuffed animals, activity books sent for Parker, etc. etc. poured in. Among those much appreciated acts of kindness, the key ingredient was absolutely the prayers! I could honestly feel their power during those days. What a humbling experience to have so many people praying for you. I know that they resulted in Parker’s quick turn around and expedited recovery. We were and still are overwhelmed with gratitude at such an outpouring of love! To be the recipients of so much goodness made me appreciate even more how wonderful it is to be a member of the church! To have this network in place of such selfless people who are willing and ready to serve and support you and do anything for you in a heartbeat including stopping what they are doing and praying for you – what a humbling experience and tremendous blessing and we are so thankful!
THE PLAYROOM
After a several days we made a few attempts at taking Parker up to the playroom by a wagon ride to see how he'd do on his feet. The first time around he was a bit woozy and after painting two pictures wanted to lay back down in the wagon and go back to his room. But little by little he made progress and by late Wednesday he'd checked off all the vital components necessary in his ability to go home. YAY!
GOING HOME!
Finally! What a week it had been. We went from the news that our dimpled little cutie might be brain damaged to 4 days later having our regular little Parker come home with us, bright eyes and all. His eye has healed incredibly quickly. It's hardly black at all anymore. He had a doctors appointment last week and they were absolutely amazed at his progress already. It's been the prayers I tell ya!
Like I said in the last post, he has to have two feet on the ground for 6 weeks. No running, climbing, jumping, no soccor, swingsets, trampolines, scooter, etc... basically we're just locking him up inside to avoid all those temptations! Not such an easy task for a normally bouncing-of-the-walls 4 year old boy who ADORES his friends, but we are surviving it all fine and are so grateful to have walked away from this accident with just a few temporary limitations. We've also taken him out of playgroup for the next while because he gets a little to rowdy with his cute friends and it's just too big a risk that he'd bump his head again. He will always have to be extra careful and will definitely always be wearing a helmet for anything active - but thank goodness we had already been practicing that important habit and precaution when riding his scooter! The neurologist was very frank about the fact that if Parker were to get another bonk in the same spot on his head in the next several months that it could be fatal. SCARY!
We are just so glad to be home and getting this behind us. We're so grateful to be on this end of things as we know that it could have been so much worse! We're finally coming out of the fog of the emotional trauma of it all and feeling somewhat normal again. I have been horrible at returning phone calls (I'm sorry!) and even text messages but know how much I appreciate everyone's concern. We've just been exhausted and talking about it more just hasn't been appealing - hence why my lack of motivation in doing this blog post! (I don't even have it in me to proofread it right now so sorry for any typos or confusing statements!)
But so glad to have it recorded! Parker is one special little boy and this experience is further testament of that. Thank you so much for all of your comments and support. It means more than you know!
Give your little ones an extra hug today. You never know when things might take a turn for the unexpected.
xoxo
5 comments:
Michele I had to read all of that! We are so glad that Parker is ok and he really is one of those boys who brings a smile to your face! When I first got your text message I was shocked and I could not imagine Paker any other way than the way he is! So Happy and my testimony is strenghtened by our amazing ward! I know that Prayers were answered! Thanks Michele for sharing! I am sure you are sick of talking about it and being asked questions, but thank you for the reminder of what blessings our kids are! ((hugs))
Michelle, you are an amazing mom. I adore you and look up to you. Thanks for your example of faith.
Thanks for posting this, Michelle. I'm sure it wasn't easy- If I had gone through that, I'm sure I would have post traumatic stress disorder!
I am so glad that Parker is doing so well now. It is a good reminder of how fragile life is and how important our kids are.
Wow Michelle... I'm glad you wrote it all up. I really was tearing up just imagining what those first few hours were like for you... I'm so glad that he is going to be ok, and just know that our prayers and support are with you guys as well!
Holy MOly!! That is super scary. We are so glad that he is ok and back to being himself.
Post a Comment