Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Then & Now

Growing up, I didn't have a lot of women in my life. My mom, yes. My 2 grandmas - yes. But only several aunts (all but one out of state), no sisters (cute stepsisters & a half sister later but none whom I saw often), & just one girl cousin. I always resented the fact that I didn't have a sister and was jealous of those who did, but she - my cuz - just three months younger than myself - was like the sister I didn't have - a few months out of the year anyway.

We were complete opposites -me the somewhat reserved (in comparison) middle child, girly, & a bit molly Mormon you could say. I did grow up in Utah after all! She was an extrovert, an only child who loved the spotlight & who grew up in a very non-conservative home in Palo Alto, California. (I actually think conservatism is probably the one swear word in their home - but I have to say I love them for (& in spite of) their passionate left-wing political views...) Nonetheless, we had such great times together & to this day I think we can still appreciate our differences & what each can learn from the other. :)

In the summertime, Megan would come out to Utah and spend several weeks with our Grandma who lived in the Avenues of Salt Lake & so would I. I loved those few weeks with her & we cherished that time together with our Grandma. We spent those weeks playing Rummikub and SkipBo, taking walks to the "Little Store" on the corner to buy treats, playing in the Salt Lake City cemetery across the street, swinging in the cherry tree, making up skits for our family, playing office on the patio, eating chocolate pudding with chocolate chips, drinking A&W Rootbeer, rollerskating through our chalk-made cities, playing with Elizabeth McRea the next door neighbor.... the memories go on and on. I would also fly to California on occasion and stay with she and her parents. We had more great times there riding bikes all over Stanford University and the Stanford Shopping Center (& making embarrassing movies of course...).

Here we are back in 1986 with our cute Grandma who always seemed to be wearing an apron... and some shade of her favorite color - pink. She was also always snapping pictures which to the annoyance of some I have followed in her footsteps of...
My Grandma passed away of pancreatic cancer in 1996, my sophmore year of High School.


Don't you love the retro decor? Ahhh... the memories...

FLASH FORWARD 24 years...


Last week, Megan and her husband Adam came to visit us on their drive from California to Massachusetts! It was so good to see them! I didn't make it to their wedding as it was shortly after I had Emmie, so this was my first time meeting Adam. He is a great guy and they obviously make each other happy which was wonderful to see.

Not too soon after the recent purchase of their dream home in downtown San Francisco, the opportunity of a lifetime came up.... Harvard came knocking! No, not to be a student, (she just graduated from Stanford with her PhD in Math!) but she was sought out to join Harvard's faculty as a post doctorate fellow and do math research for the next several years with 2 Harvard professors! AMAZING!!!

Did I forget to mention that she's BRILLIANT?

Well, she is.

So off they go to HARVARD for a great adventure. I have to admit that a tinge of jealousy runs through me as I've dreamed of living back East since I can remember....*sigh*. It will probably never happen for me (however if Chris were to give the okay tomorrow I would be there), but how exciting for them!

It was so great to see you guys!!!
Hope you make it out here again soon - or better yet maybe I'll make it back there to visit YOU this time.

HUGS! :)

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Marianne said...

Oh wow, It is good to see that Megan is doing so well. What a neat experience that will be!
It is fun to see a picture of Emma Lou too. It makes me miss my grandmas.

Grandma Jane said...

What a great picture of you girls and grandma. Michelle, YOU were her FIRST GRAND-DAUGHTER. She loved her grandsons, but she REALLY wanted a granddaughter in the WORST way. When you were born, your dad went out in the waiting room and said that you were a "boy". Grandma was thrilled.... but then Todd went up to her and put his arm around her and said, "Not really.... we have a new little GIRL!" Grandma started to cry. She was SO EXCITED about having a little girl. And then 3.5 months later she had ANOTHER wonderful little girl. She was a HAPPY GRANDMA! And she has always loved you girls ever since (in a very special way). Thanks for sharing this memories. Love ya. mom.