Thursday, October 30, 2008

An enlightening night on the farm.....

First off, do you know what this is? It's a sunflower. A DEAD sunflower. We went to a pumpkin patch last night, and there were LOTS of these there. I have no idea if that is the "norm" for a pumpkin patch to be filled with these, but the one we went to last night was.

So upon stumbling onto THIS sunflower below, I was shocked to see that it was filled with actual sunflower seeds! "Chris!", I said, "Check this out! SUNFLOWER SEEDS!". I proceeded to show him all the sunflower seeds spewing out of this sunflower carcass. His eyes got all big and to my dismay and somewhat humiliation, instead of saying, "Wow! How about that!", he just laughed and laughed saying, "Are you serious? Give me the camera. I am taking pictures of this for the blog!" He went on to tell me that yes, sunflower seeds do indeed come from actual sunflowers (when you put it THAT way, I guess it DOES make sense...) and that EVERYONE knows this, and that I must be the ONLY human being that didn't. Really?
So, yes, I confess, I had NO IDEA that sunflower seeds come from sunflowers. To tell you the truth, I had never ever thought about where they come from before, & I'm not making any promises but maybe if I HAD thought about it, I would have figured it out. So, I guess you could say that this was an enlightening trip to the pumpkin patch. I am, however, THOROUGHLY convinced that I am not the only one who was in the dark about this. Is my discovery news to anyone else out there? Come on. It's okay to admit it. I am. And if you DON'T want to step forward, at least now you know, so that when YOU stumble upon all the sunflowers and their seeds at the pumpkin patch, your husbands won't think you're as dumb as mine thinks I am.

Now that THAT'S out of the way (if I didn't tell it, Chris would have... don't feel bad, I'm not embarrassed), on with our story...so we went to a place called "Hee Haw Farms" last night. They have a petting zoo, rides for the kiddos, a couple of big slides that Parker LOVED, a hayride to the sunflower cemetery/pumpkin patch, and much much more. FUN TIMES!!!




Parker does this little cheez grin everytime we tell him to smile. He really can smile like a normal kid, I just never seem to catch it on film. This was the bumpiest hay ride to the Pumpkin Patch! I was holding onto Emmie so tightly, and made Chris hold onto ME so that we wouldn't fly out of the wagon. We couldn't stop laughing because it seemed so unsafe that it was actually quite comical. Truthfully, I think all of us passengers were using our giggles to try and cover up our fears as the rickety old tractor pulling us experienced all kinds of "technical difficulties". It ended up being quite a long trip there and back to civilization again, and I was just relieved when we finally made it back safely. Emmie didn't make a peep the entire night! What a sweet little thing she is... Check out this huge slide! Scary?? Not for OUR 2 year old. He couldn't get enough of it. You may remember that Parker LOVES to feed our dog. Well, he found a new passion... Feeding the GOATS! We kept trying to leave, but Parker kept saying "2 more minutes" (this is his stalling technique for EVERYTHING) and ran around the courtyard gathering all the corn he could round up. Again, and again...and again....Needless to say, he has some new friends over at Hee Haw Farms. They may have beards and horns, but diversity is good, right?
What a fun night! Once again, it was soooo pretty out there and the weather was so nice - upper 60's! Can't we just skip over this winter season and experience Fall until spring? That's my vote. Anyone else with me on that one??
HAPPY HALLOWEEN tomorrow!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOW FUN!! You totally make me MISS UTAH, what a beauty of a family and Parker is waaay too big for his britches now...I love this post!! ;0)

SHIPP said...

looks like you are back in the swing of things again, you make managing two look like a breeze!

Jeff, Tiffany & Carson said...

I love the sunflower story! That's great! Parker is SO dang cute! and BIG!

I think it's funny that we celebrated our 6 month but I doubt that we will do any other half way marks. It was fun though :)

Our email is yatesplace@gmail.com

We share it but I think I'm the only one that checks it. I'm so glad we can keep in touch with our blogs, I miss you guys!