Wednesday, August 17, 2011

24th of July Parade

Growing up, we frequented the 24th of July Parade on the good old streets of Salt Lake quite often. I have fun memories from those days and I thought that the kiddos were at great ages to attend this year. So we bustled out the door way earlier than we normally are ever ready to hit the highway, and off to the parade we went!

We were even able to coerce Grandma and Grandpa Hansen, and Aunt Bethany to attend with us.  It wasn't as super exciting as I remembered it as a kid, but it was a fun morning and definitely a worthwhile trip! We even got lucky with some nice rain clouds blocking the hot sun for us most of the morning.       

Apparently this is Emmie's new smile...

And in case you missed the big parade or wonder what in the world goes on at this sort of celebration, above is a sampling of the plethora of floats. The police squads also come out in hoards and do synchronized motorcycle dances. I think it must be an exciting day for the cops around our state. Pretty entertaining, actually. :)

But my favorite part of the parade hands down was our cute prophet Thomas S. Monson, riding by! That alone made the trip worth it for sure. It sure made me wish I had brought my nice camera!

I asked Parker what he thought, and he said he wants to go back next year, so I guess that means he liked it.
Maybe it will be a become our new tradition.... :)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Chelle said...

Michelle, I have to say I am very impressed that you are up to going to these outdoor things. I just cannot handle the heat! Agh, I'm out for five minutes and all my energy (what little I have) seems to get sucked away. The kids will say, "Let's go on a bike ride" and I'm like, "Um...let's do that when Daddy gets home." And it never happens. :( Super cool floats though and I love Emmy's new smile.