Friday, March 27, 2009

VICTORY

THE BIG DAY FINALLY ARRIVED.........
So I've totally put off the potty training thing due to other people's horror stories and my pediatrician's advice to not start little boys until they are closer to three years old.
Well, the big three is quickly approaching us this coming July, and the last few weeks I started feeling gutsy and started talking up going in the potty to Parker. I got him all excited about it and he finally seemed interested, so I decided that once we got back from St. George that we would attempt the dreaded potty training.
But Parker had other plans. On a whim we went ahead and bought 'The Potty' while we were (finally) purchasing a double stroller at Babies R' Us last week. Upon bringing it inside the house, Parker immediately insisted on taking it out of the box, then demanded that we take off his jeans and diaper. O-kay... I wasn't going to start this for another week (this is before St. George), but hey, if the kid wanted to give it a go, I wasn't going to argue with him. We took off his diaper, put the potty in the bathroom, he sat down, and walah!!! To our utter amazement, our little Parker peed in the tiny toilet! He also sprayed the floor, but heck, I didn't even care. My little boy just went pee pee in the potty! He then proceeded to jump up and down, do a VICTORY dance and give us high fives....Chris and I couldn't stop laughing.
In the midst of our celebration, he decided he wanted to do it again.... and again.... and again! Although his tiny bladder was empty of urine, his little body must have been so excited that it quickly made more. The kid was straining like I've never seen to get more and more out, but he was so thrilled to see any drops his body would produce, that Chris and I couldn't help but be happy for him. (This seriously went on for about 45 minutes...) Our baby boy is growing up.
We were so proud! :)
Then out came the big boy pants that I thankfully had on hand, which spurred on more celebrations, as you can see from the pictures. That pose on the right came with absolutely no coaxing.... I was just following him with my camera while loving the show.
Emmie was celebrating too... in the potty box!
She was so happy for her brother and squealed and grinned at all the excitement.
So yeah. You could say that last Wednesday was a pretty historic day in our home.
We're now in St. George and we're back in the diapers, but come next week, we're hoping for more victories and that the little guy will still be excited to fill up and empty his little potty.
Secretly, I'm terrified that this was too good of a start and that come next week he's going to have no interest in this....
If anyone has any good potty training advice ---please share! I'm clueles...
& ALL EARS!!! :)

4 comments:

Wade Family said...

Way to go Parker! Ya, I have no advice. Madison is four and finally completely out of diapers! That called for some serious celebration! Although I do have to say that Jackson was so much easier so there is some hope. He still wears diapers to sleep but other that that he has done awesome. Good luck! Have fun in St. George....enjoy some good weather, I hear there is snow in SLC.

benandtheshannon said...

WOW !! I am amazed. Cohen is not even close. :) Oh well. How was St. George? So another question. I have been trying to figure out the picasa thing and if you look at my blog you can see that I am retarded. I can't get a border or even the pictures to be the same size and then the white background. I decided to post them anyway after all the time I spent. Do you have any tips. Maybe I just need to come down for a tutorial. I need to/ want to come down soon. what is your calender like? Let me know!! Shan

aliciamae100 said...

yay for Parker!! I love his celebratory strut!
and don't buy a kitchenaid - they look nice, but they're useless. it's bosch all the way for me now.

Britt said...

Michelle- Thanks for the nice comment on our blog. I don't mind you looking at it. Not at all. In fact, if you don't mind, I'd like to put your address on our blog. Admittedly I've checked yours once in a while, too via the Benson's. Your family is so darling! Your kids are so adorable, seriously! Could your little girl have cuter, chubbier cheeks? It's fun to keep tabs on your guys. I really enjoyed getting to know you when we were in AZ. Truthfully, we really should've hung out more.

Good luck with the potty training. I, too, hope Parker stays excited about it. I'm dreading training Dashle. Shyler keeps asking when we're going to do it and I say, "Help yourself. If you're so eager you jump right on it." I love how he makes suggestions about things I will likely have to do since he is gone quite a bit. ha.ha.