Thursday, March 5, 2009

I surrender....

...to the waves, that is.
Yes, I am coming clean with something I've struggled with my entire life...
MY HAIR!!!
My hair is naturally: curly, wavy, frizzy, poofy, pliable, high maintenance, annoying, time consuming, you name it!
Many people don't know this because I spend 30+ minutes every morning of my life blow drying and straightening it! Ridiculous, I KNOW, but if you saw the way it looks when it air dries, you would agree that the time is well spent, that I'm NOT being vain (just trying to look somewhat normal) and you'd probably allot me 30 MORE minutes just to make sure.

However, I absolutely DREAD doing it! I just can't do dirty hair, so I wash it everyday. So, this last week, I took a big step in my life, and I surrendered to my hair and tried to work WITH it, rather than against it. It's so not cute, I know, but it's 6 or 7 minutes with a diffuser opposed to 30-40 that it normally takes.

Bottom line is that it's CLEAN, and it is better than what I wake up with.
So if you see me with this 'do, don't be surprised, and don't think that I'm trying out a new style that I think is necessarily attractive. I'm just trying to save a little of my sanity & most of all, TIME (which is hard to come by as it is with 2 kids under 2!) without going completely frumpy on myself.

FUNNY SIDENOTE:
About six years ago I wore my hair like this to work. I was an Admin Assistant for an ophthalmologist/optometry practice. When the doctor walked in and saw me that morning, he said, "What the???! Wow! WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU???".
He honestly thought that my blow dryer had blown up on me in some sort of horrible freak accident. He was shocked to find out that I had worn my hair like this on purpose out in public. Ha ha. :)
So yeah. As you can guess, I never wore my hair like that to work again! And have hardly worn it out in public since!

ADDITIONAL SIDENOTE:
I can tell Chris isn't a fan either, although he'll never admit it. This last week that I've worn my hair this way, he just gives me a funny look, but doesn't say a word. He's too nice to say anything negative about my appearance. Hey - at least I'm showered and clean, right? Even HE'D have to admit that this is better than the medusa-looking style I wake up with every morning! Sorry honey. It's only a couple days a week that I'll be sporting this, I promise!

I know, I know... such a petty thing to complain about in the big scheme of things. It's sure annoying though!
So to all of you who have naturally straight, beautiful, shiny, wash-and-go locks (or GOOD curls!), to say that I'm a little envious is an understatement!
Count your blessings, girls!!! :)
Hmmm. Sometimes I think that a WIG might work out really nicely for me.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

HILARIOUS! I would have NEVER guessed that you were naturally curly! I LOVVVE it actually. heck, what's not to like about it...it's free and easy and you look fresh and upbeat! I really like the [new] YOU! And hey, think about how much you could get done now that you don't spend nearly an hour straightening it!!

Marianne said...

WHAT??? I think it's so cute like that! I've never even seen you with bad hair.
Hope that your kids are feeling better now! Your last post basically described my whole January.

Chelle said...

Michelle you are so funny! I think your hair looks great naturally curly. Seriously, it looks really cute. I know what you mean about the time thing. My hair is naturally curly but Jared always liked it so much better straight. But good grief, it would take me an hour! There was no way I could do that. That's why the short hair is much more manageable. Anyway, you always look good, so I don't think you have anything to worry about. :)

Brady + Marsha said...

Are you kidding me?! I love your hair curly. It looks super cute! I am one of those straight haired girls that would die for cute curly hair.

Amanda said...

It looks so pretty! I struggle with the same issue. Maybe I will try to work WITH my hair too? I look like carrot top if I don't straighten my hair. What kind of "product" do you use to tame your locks? I don't want my hair to be crusty, but that's the only way to make it not so "80's bad perm" like. We'll talk. Glad you've come to grips with this issue.

Jeanerbee said...

I LOVE it curly! What do you mean bad curls??? I have bad curls... not you! One thing I've found helpful is to have lots of layers (but not too short of a cut - which I have now and it's HIDEOUS) and use a GOOD curl creme - I like Aveda and have heard Bumble and Bumble is good. Yep, expensive, but you only use a little and it's WORTH it. But whatever you are doing/using looks GREAT! I WISH I had your hair =).

Chris and Michelle said...

You guys are all so nice.
Amanda- my hair usually comes out crunchy, too! I need to get some good product like Jeanine suggested. Right now I'm just using some "Sunsilk Captivating Curl" mousse that I picked up at Target on clearance for $1.62. Ha ha. I think using a good product will make all the difference! Thanks, Jeanine for the suggestions. I'll pick one of those up as soon as I can make my way to Ulta. And Jeanine, YOU definitely have good curls!
Amanda, I want to see the results once you try riding the waves! And Michelle - I LOVE your short hair...so is it really tons easier?
Thanks girls for all of your comments! :)

Wade Family said...

You kill me....I have never seen you have a bad day of anything. Your hair is so darling. I was laughing while I was reading this because about two weeks ago I gave in too. I wear my hair curly like 90% of the time but mine is really scary. I just can't fight the humidity here anymore. I have like 10 minutes to shower and get ready...with my three little tornadoes. Everyone keeps telling me to wash it every other day but I can't do that so as a result I opt for the clean wavy look. Ya, Ryan is not a big fan either but I tell him it's his punishment for bringing me here...j/k! If you discover some good products...that would fit into my nearly non existence budget let me know.

Karen said...

I love it Michelle! My best friend growing up had the exact same dilemma. Once she finally gave in and embraced the curl, it just kept getting better and better! I'm going to get my hair done tomorrow and I think I'm going to go for a drastic change. We'll see if I'm gutsy enough when it comes down to it! We'll have to get together when the kiddos are all better.

benandtheshannon said...

You are quite a funny little lady, who is very cute with the curls. I do very much like the straight hair on myself but like you say it just isn't worth the time it takes. I gave up a very long time ago. And just hope that there is a shower at some point in the day. Sorry to hear that your kids were so sick. Hope you are all feeling better!!

aliciamae100 said...

okay, I would NOT lie - I love it, really, I love it! So funny because I curl my hair most every morning because it's sooo straight.
Keep it up and sleep a little longer each morning. :)

Mindi said...

Michelle-haven't checked blogs in a long time but stumbled upon yours. I love your hair, it is so cute! Your daughter is a little doll, and you have such a cute family! Hope you are doing well!

Efamily said...

Wow you just totally came out of the closet about your hair. I am shocked! It looks darling!

SHIPP said...

Really, no way. Friends all these years and never new it. I think your hair always looks great, even curly!