Here's a scenario. What do you do when you're husbandless at church & both of your kids are crying hysterically in sacrament meeting? YOU LEAVE!!! Yep, that's right folks, sacrament meeting wasn't even halfway over today and we had to leave, as in, exit the building all because I don't have enough arms to hold both of my children at the same time (Parker apparently requires BOTH my arms to hold him.)
Parker had his breaking point today. The jealousy has been building up for three months now, and today his true feelings toward his new little sister all came to the surface. As soon as we sat down in sacrament meeting, Emmie started to cry. Well, EVERY TIME I went to pick up Emmie, Parker would start to cry and say "No mommy, No mommy!", between sobs. Well if I put Emmie down, SHE would cry (& I'm telling you, the girl has some lungs when she wants to use them). I tried convincing Parker to let me hold Em in one arm in he in the other, but he wouldn't have it. We went out into the hall and foyer THREE times in the time span of about 12 minutes to try and resolve this issue, but at all times either one or both of my children were screaming. By the time Parker threw himself on the floor in the hall and started rolling around, I knew that Parker was beyond repair & that it was in the best interest of the entire congregation for us to leave. (Just a mental interpretation I made of the passerby's "what's wrong with YOUR kids" glares in the hall.) I threw (okay I didn't throw my baby) Emmie back into her carrier and sadly marched my crying kiddos down the hall and out of the building to our car. I unsuccessfully fought back my own tears as I unlocked the car door to load everyone back in. Yes, I started crying, and the good part of the day was that no one saw me with tears rolling down my face. Ughhhhhh! ALL I wanted to do was go to church today! Does it really have to be so complicated?? Did I really just spend 2+ hours trying to get myself and 2 kids packed up, dressed, ready, fed, bathroomed and out the door just to turn around and come home a half hour later?? Oh heaven help us!
So I bet you can't guess who was literally snoring before we made our way out of the parking lot. YEP - the little man in charge. The poor little guy was simply TIRED! (an already known fact.) This 11:00 church, mixed with no husband to help out is going to be the end of me, I swear! Sad to say, but I really dread Sundays these days due to the fact that our meetings are right in the middle of Parker's naptime, and knowing that I'm going to have to do it all without Chris 50% of the time.
Just a word of advice... next time you see an obviously struggling mother, offering to hold her new baby who is perfectly content as long as she is simply held, while the poor mother tends to her cranky, nap-deprived two year old, would be a nice gesture. OR you can resort to staring with pity as she unsuccessfully tries to enable some sort of super human ability to console both of her out-of-control children at the same time....
If you STILL wonder why I take Parker's nap time schedule so seriously, reread this entire post.
OH THE JOYS OF MOTHERHOOD!
6 comments:
OH MY GOODNESS! I am so sorry. It sounds like you had a horrible Sunday. I totally know that feeling. Sometimes it is like "why do I even come?" cause you end up spending the whole time in the hallway. Hang in there!
Oh honey I hear you! And I haven't even had to take them both to church alone yet. But the emotional melt downs on the part of the toddler are an everyday occurence here... usually late afternoon when said toddler is also tired. Baby cries, so toddler cries and pulls on my leg thinking he can get picked up instead of baby. Eee gads it's exhausting!
Oh boy--Michelle, I TOTALLY empathize! I have done the same thing...I have actually fought tears too...it STINKS! There have been many times when I could not do it...I am sitting here laughing and crying thru your post b/c I can sooo relate! It's the pits...man, I wish I lived closer to help! I have had those same looks from "other" people, it really is pitiful when people KNOW you need help and they don't...GRRR. I am sending positive Sunday vibes for the weeks and months ahead, you can do it Michelle, YOU CAN!
You sweetie Michelle! I am sorry, I was laughing through your whole post, only because I have been there! Ahhh, the insanity! I am so sorry. Only 1 more month until the time change right? Only then will you be 1-4? Which is worse?? Hang in there...it's worth it!
Michelle,
Thanks for leaving a post on my blog...your family is adorable and you look fantastic!
I can totally relate to the husbandless Sundays! You poor thing.
Hopefully someone in your ward will get a clue and start helping you out :)
Oh my gosh Michelle! That is so sad! I saw you that Sunday standing up in the back on my way out to feed Tyler, and then I was wondering why I didn't see you again! Gotta love our ward! You guys should sit with us when Chris isn't there. Parker might be entertained by my boys. We should try it and see if it helps!
Post a Comment